Curly Hair: Products and Tools for Care


Along with the newfound ways of caring for my hair, I have decided to write a post about my current hair products and tools. I re-read this POST and was amazed by how many 'subtractions' I have made by the grace of God, in recents years in regards to my hair products. While many of the products have been deducted from my hair care routine, the methods by which to select the proper hair products explained in the previous post, remain the same. 

At the end of that post and at that time, I had mentioned that if any additions or subtractions were made to my hair product arsenal, I would update. People usually ask me of the products I use in my hair, so here is a list, and pictures for your viewing pleasure! In this post, I will only address my current hair products and tools. One may reference the preceding hair product post; however, I will only stick with what I use presently which can be seen in the picture above.  I will stress that there is no 'magic' in these products or instruments frequently used, it is all about the methodology of care; the products are a nice supplement to hair sustenance and health.

Shampoo and conditioner: I currently use 'Suave Professionals Almond and Shea Butter' as seen in the above picture - it is the big green bottles. I have been using these products for a few years now and definitely like them a whole lot! I usually buy in bulk at my local grocery store. It is sold in three for about a little over $7. I purchase the 28oz container. I use about a ratio of two conditioners to one shampoo, so I typically buy more conditioner as I use more conditioner during the detangling process after shampooing the hair. The products are great because it's very gentle on the hair; and the conditioner in particular aids in easy detangling. In addition I like the scent, the consistency and price! ;)

Stylers: Toward the end of 2014, I started using Carol's Daughter 'Hair Milk Original' for my hair (the bottle with the black lid). I have used this product in the past but had stopped for a while. Nevertheless, I have decided to go back to it. As of now, Hair milk is the major styling cream I use in my hair. I use it to twist my hair after washing. I noticed it has contributed to the overall health of my hair. Since beginning to reuse it, I have noticed some significant changes in my hair; for example, I have begun to see some 'new growth' on the edges of my hair that were not there before. My hair also feels fuller and is longer. Hair milk softens the hair and moisturizes it. It is light; thus, it does not weigh the hair down. It also gives the hair a considerable amount of sheen, and has a nice, gently, smell which I like. It is also not overly oily which I love as I can 'play' in my hair without experiencing greasy palms and fingers! I have since added the 'Hair Milk Lite' as a styler as well (the bottle with the white lid). I buy the 8oz bottle of both Hair Milks.

I do not use these two products simultaneously. I alternate them and use upon availability. I purchase Hair Milk online. The company sells the products now in Walgreens, though I haven't purchased any from Walgreens yet. I am a member of the Carol's Daughter website; so, I receive certain special benefits when I order from there, this includes free shipping and great discounts on items. The hair milk is usually $12 but as a member of the website it decreases to $10.80 and most often they have additional 10% or 15% discount that can be used atop the already discounted product! Some of my hair milks after all the discounts amounts to about a little over $9! I am a frugal person; I always look for opportunities to save in any way that I can. (Also, I am not promoting the website or products of the company; I am sharing my experience).

Oils: I use coconut oil exclusively*. I do not have any specific brand of coconut oil that I prefer; however, I do like the extra virgin coconut oil. I use coconut oil on my scalp and on the hair shaft of the hair at every wash session, but most especially in the winter season as the atmosphere is much drier. During the colder months, the coconut oil usually solidifies and in the Summer months it melts on its own in response to the hot weather. Some people place the oil in the microwave to melt it in the Winter when it hardens; however, the microwave has the potential to remove some of the oil's beneficial minerals. So a safer way I have found to melt coconut oil in the winter is to place it in a container (I use the white plastic with the pointy tip above - the pointy tip makes it easier to apply the oil onto the scalp. I purchased it from Sally Beauty Supply) whether plastic or glass, and put it in a large bowl of hot boiled water, or simply put it under hot running water (while the oil is in a closed container of course). One important tip about coconut oil is that it is very light, and because of that, it may drip from the scalp to forehead or behind the ears if too much is applied to the scalp, chiefly in the Summer. So use in moderation. HERE I wrote about some of the benefits I have experienced with coconut oil.

Tools
Combs - I use the wide-tooth comb to detangle my hair after shampooing when conditioner is applied (mine is black above)Look for wide-tooth combs that aren't easily breakable. While shopping, use knuckles to get a sound out of the comb - is it a 'silent' plastic or a 'loud' plastic? 'Silent' or dull sounded plastic combs are the ones that tend to be almost 'unbreakable.' They are firm and opaque in appearance. 'Loud' plastic combs are attractive, a bit transparent, and easily broken. Use wisdom in selecting combs in order for them to last longer. primarily use the bottom of a rat tail comb (the pink comb in the picture above) for parting sections in my hair. Again, please utilize the above tips in selection of these combs if needed. 

Plastic hair clips - I use these clips during washing. You can spot these clips in the top picture on the left. Since I wash the hair in sections, I use the clips to secure the sections that aren't being worked on at the moment. 

Plastic banana clips (also seen in the top picture on the left) - I mostly use banana clips to hold my hair up in a ponytail. I rarely use hair ties on my hair. I prefer banana clips. It is very simple to use, and does not entangle or tug on the hair as hair ties do. Lastly, in selecting plastic hair tools, please apply the knowledge addressed previously. 

Silky head scarves (not pictured but can be seen HERE): I mostly wear these scarves while at home, to evening church services, and as a nightly protective headgear. The silky fabrics protects the hair by preventing tugging and pulling on the hair as other fabrics, namely cotton will.

I do not do any 'special treatments' or use 'any special' products in my hair. Everything I use for my hair has been shown in picture and explained in writing. I do not trim or cut my hair in any way or form. I also do not use any dyes to color my hair; neither do I flat-iron my hair or use artificial hair. I try and keep the hair healthy and simple as per the wisdom, guidance, and leading of God via prayer. You are welcomed to visit this POST for the hair care routine. 

To have 'nice' or 'beautiful' hair requires commitment, patience, and time. You can't expect to magically have beautiful hair without putting the necessary 'work' into to. If you invest in good hair products and tools as well as to adapt and maintain a healthy diet you will reap beautifully gloriously healthy long hair. "...for whatsoever a man [woman] soweth, that shall he also reap"-Galatians 6:7

I pray this post a blessing to you. Should you have any questions, or comments please write below, or send an email to modestic.elegance11@gmail.com

Thank you for reading and for your visit to the blog!
-Charity

Comments

  1. Love this! Do you use any brushes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet,

      Occasionally, I use the soft side of a two-sided brush to brush the edges of my hair after I pull it back in a banana clip, or I use a small comb to get the the same effect. I am not very big on brushes.

      Hope this helps!

      -Charity

      Delete
  2. Hi Charity, thanks for this information! I want to begin to take better care of my natural hair. Janet has recommended some of your tips to me and so I decided to check it out myself:) Please where can I purchase the extra virgin coconut oil at a decent price? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Osamene,

    Glad to know you stopped by! Coconut oil can be found at any local produce market - I purchase mine from a local supermarket.

    Try looking/ asking about it in the produce stores around you. Coconut oil should not be difficult to locate and should be reasonable in price as well esp. in produce markets.

    Please, let me know if you are able to find it.

    Have a blessed day!
    -Charity

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment