Curly Hair: Winter Regimen Revised

Here, I braided the plaits from front to back and tucked the end of the braid at the bottom under the entire braid - I love the look that this produces!

Towards the end of 2015, I had decided that I was not satisfied with my then hair styling regimen. At that time my routine was to wash, condition, detangle/comb in sections, then twist my hair in smaller sections. A few days after which I would unravel the twists and wear my hair in different bun styles. I noticed that this process often caused my hair to be very tangled, and prolonged the process of combing/detangling and would make the process of combing during washing a bit painful as well.

I desired then a different method that would enable me to maintain a style for a week or so, as well as will not cause my hair to be so tangled and entangled! So then I was inspired to revisit my Ghana plaits! I wrote about this hairstyle sometime ago HERE. I have presently been wearing my hair repeatedly in this style for a little more or less than four months now. I still follow the method as explained before. I have come to so appreciate it this time around! 

I like this style because it lasts for a week and a half at a time at most. I also don't have to do my hair everyday. It as well preserves my hair from the harsh winter weather and associated clothing! Winter call for coats, scarves, hoods etc and often times the friction that is caused between my clothes and hair can take a toll on the hair. It is a style that is very appropriate for me as a nurse as I am required to wear my hair off of my shoulders whenever at work, which I too prefer to do. Fifthly, I believe that we should learn to leave our hair alone to give it a break from all the many manipulations, and allow the hair to rest and regenerate, for me this style does just that and more! Lastly, it is a one shot hairstyle - meaning I do the washing and styling of my hair in one day which usually takes about two hours or less! 

The procedure normally goes like this: I wash my hair, condition, comb/detangle in sections, collect excess water with oversized T-Shirt (I prefer this to a towel as towel can leave behind some stingy things in my hair), then I oil my hair mainly the edges, roots, nape and shaft of hair. At this point, I have multiple jumbo twists from detangling/combing (I do this to ease the process of combing - I comb my hair in smaller sections). I take one of the detangled twist while I secure the rest with a hair clip; I unravel and separate it into about 3 or more smaller sections. 

I then take one of that section, clip the rest away, and seal in the moisture (as my hair is still wet at this point) with coconut oil, and my current hair cream, I do not comb the hair again, I begin threading! I usually will take out my thread ahead of time. The way I do this is to take three stings of hair thread and estimate the length of the thread to my hair length, combine it and tie a knot at the top where I will use to thread. The knot that is tied keeps the three strings together, and eases the beginning of threading. If a knot is not tied when you begin to thread, you'll notice the thread will slip off a few times before it finds a grip. I use three strings because I have very thick hair and the three combined helps keeps the hair sturdy. You can also use two or even one string of thread depending on the amount and density of your hair. I use a comb that has a long tail to do the partings especially for the back portions where I can't see.

Here is a very great video I found online explaining how to thread natural hair. There are some variations between her method and mine, but ultimately it's quite similar to mine and she explains the process very well! I use the same thread she uses and I use 3 strings of thread as mentioned earlier. I learned a tip to removing the thread from this video! Hope this visual aid is helpful to you! 

When  threading is complete, I do an inverted cornrow from the front to the back as in the above and below picture. Other times I braid from bottom to top. Or sometimes I wear my hair in a front to back braid for a week, then back to front for a maximum of three days in the following week and then I take out my hair from the plaits for process to be repeated. In the second week of wearing this style, I like to freshen up my hair and roots with some coconut oil. I then re-do my braid. I make sure to tuck the end of the braid under the braided portion of my hair - this is a great way to protect those delicate ends! While this hair is in tact, I continue to take care of my hair by adding a little bit of hair cream on the edges and nape of my hair and lightly brush the edges and nape for a neat appearance - even if I don't add cream I always brush the edges and nape before I leave my residence.

Lastly, I have noticed that my hair has gotten thicker, and fuller since wearing my hair in this way - the secret? The ends of my hair is covered (protecting and thus strengthening it), and the stress load on the hair is lessened, and I wash my hair frequently (clean scalp promotes healthy, growing hair!). I also have been using coconut oil much more consistently and generously.



Here, I made the sections, a little bigger than in the picture above, and I also did the inverted braid from bottom to top.
 Though, my intention for doing my hair is not to receive compliments, it is so interesting the amount of compliments I often receive when I do my hair this way. I have learnt that the glory and beauty of our hair shines forth when it is intentionally taken care of and not pushed to the side; as a result it exude cleanliness, and simplicity, which is attractive and beautiful indeed. 

It is not by compulsion that you do this style. You can also do cornrows or any other style that you can wear for a few days to a week or two, that will protect the ends of your hair and overall well-being of your hair.

Hope this is helpful to you, and sparks creativity in you! :)
Be blessed!
-Charity

Comments